Monday, January 19, 2009

60 Days

It is Tuesday morning as I write this. The weather this morning was sunny and about 14 degrees. We haven't had any snow for awhile but we are still dealing with the stuff that was left behind. Because most of it has melted and thawed many times we have mostly hard packed snow or ice to walk on. So far I haven't fell yet but almost every one has taken a spill. You don't dare walk around here with a normal stride. Everyone looks like they are in their 80s shuffling around not quite sure about their balance and footing which of course we aren't lol

The big news for us is as of today we have 60 days before we leave Afghanistan. Hopefully everything will go fairly smooth and we will be home about a week or 10 days after that. But if it's anything like trying to get home for leave it could take longer. I'm pretty sure just to spite me the Army will have us leave Kuwait on the 31st of March. The reason I say this is, is because if I left on the first I would get another month of tax free pay and my hazardous duty entitlements.

Not much else is really going on. Our replacements start their mobilization process on the 18th of February which puts them in Afghanistan sometime in late February or the first week in March. When moving as such a small unit nothing is for sure. We have to piggy back our movements on the existing system, whereas if we were a larger unit we would have our own planes and schedules and such. Honestly it's nice to be part of a smaller unit.

Later for now, 60 days and counting!!

Brent

No comments: