Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I can see the finish line

So now that I have less than a month before I am home, the reality has started to sink in that this thing is almost over. There isn't much I will miss about this deployment but there are some things I will remember forever and some lessons I have learned. I think I will leave the reflective sort of thoughts for another day though. Call it superstition or whatever, but I'm not out of here yet so the time for reflection is still a little ways away. I will take the time to say that out of the 11 people I started this deployment with, I knew only one of them, and through this deployment we have gotten to know each other much better than we would have ever would. Of the 11 and now an addition 5 that we caught up with in Afghanistan I can say that there are at least two that I will try to stay in touch with and to some degree miss. Is that odd that I would miss a friend? I would argue that the relationships forged in the last year will probably last longer than the ones that I had in High School. There is just something about these places and events that will have a long lasting affect. There is something to be said for comrades in arms. There are some people here that I would want to be side by side if the you know what hit the fan and it's sad to say that if I found myself beside some others I would sooner have an empty space than them. I at least know what the empty space would do. I know that sounds harsh but sometimes the truth and can be quite harsh.

I think I best stop now before I go off on some wild tangent.

Once I am out of this place it will be time to reflect. I don't want to count my eggs before they are all hatched..... funny, I have 12 days left here at Ghazni

Later,

Brent

No comments: